Southern Gateway FAQs
The Southern Gateway project is a $666 million Texas Department Transportation (TxDOT) highway expansion project dedicated to developing long term transportation and operational improvements to the I-35 E southern gateway corridor approaching the City of Dallas in the TxDOT Dallas District.
- Texas Department of Transportation – Principal project owner
- Pegasus Link Constructors – Design-build contractor
Approximately $666 million, which reflects the value of the base scope design-build contract with Pegasus Link Constructors.
The project is partially funded through TxDOT’s Texas Clear Lanes initiative, which prioritizes voter-approved funding based on needed congestion relief projects in Texas’ metropolitan areas. For more information on the Texas Clear Lanes Initiative, please visit: www.texasclearlanes.com
Segment 1: I-35E from Colorado Boulevard to South of the I-35E/U.S. 67 split
- Full reconstruction of the existing eight general purpose lanes to 10 general purposes lanes
- Reconstruction of the existing single reversible HOV lane to two reversible non-tolled express lanes
- Full reconstruction of the discontinuous frontage roads and addition of new frontage roads
- Widening of the existing pavement to accommodate an additional general purpose lane in each direction for a total of six general purpose lanes
- Reconstruction of the existing two concurrent HOV lanes to one reversible non-tolled express lane
- Upgrades to roadway elements to current design criteria to improve traffic operations and safety
- Revised ramping to facilitate increased operations and local access
- Widened cross streets with increased traffic capacity to accommodate for pedestrian and bicycle accessibility
- Structural elements and accommodations for the City of Dallas’ planned deck plaza between Ewing and Marsalis Avenues
The HOV lanes within the project's limits along I-35E and U.S. 67 will close Spring 2018 along with entrance and exit points near Reunion Boulevard, Ledbetter Drive (Loop 12) and Kiest Boulevard. These closures will last the duration of The Southern Gateway Project. After project completion, the lanes will re-open as non-tolled reversible managed lanes with new entrance and exit locations along I-35E and U.S. 67. It will be available to both single occupancy and high occupancy vehicles.
Construction for the Southern Gateway Project will begin early 2018 and is estimated to be complete in 2021
Please send an email to Adrienne Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interstate 35E and U.S. Highway 67 are both major corridors to and from southern Dallas County and surrounding cities. It is imperative that traffic disruptions are kept to a minimum. Typical impacts might include lane closures along the mainlanes and frontage roads of the project corridor, as well as cross streets, which require detours onto small feeder roads just outside of the project area. All closures and traffic changes will also be listed on our lane closures page: www.thesoutherngate.org/laneclosures
If there is a police, fire or medical emergency, immediately call 911. If there is something of concern, or a non-emergency issue that needs to be addressed, please call our 24-hour hotline at (214) 349-6493 and leave a message with your information and someone will return your call promptly. You may also visit our “Connect with Us” section to utilize any of our communications tools.